[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Oct 14 11:24:04 CEST 1999

Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
>=20
> Greg Miller wrote:
> >
> > Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> > > (I'm not saying it is going to be easy to maintain perceived fairne=
ss though)

> > But who considers it unfair? Outside this list's members, I've never
> > seen anyone complain that it was unfair to begin with...
>=20
> You've never seen players complaining about gaining levels being too ea=
sy or
> too difficult? You've never seen adult weekend players complain about=20

Oh, no... I've seen plenty of complaints about difficulty, one way or
another... but what does that have to do with anything?

being
> overrun by immature teenagers with lots of time on their hands? =20

Not seriously. I've seen off-hand comments from people that, for
example, the top players have no life or whatever, but people generally
seem to take it as a given that people who work harder are supposed to
come out ahead. In fact, wasn't that one of the problems Raph ran into?
People took upward movement (financially, xp, skills, or whatever) as a
given making it hard to provide any realism?

You've
> never seen players being frustrated about not being able to keep up wit=
> their friends?

No, not that I recall.

>=20
> Anyway, the premise for the discussion was that of balancing a system i=
n a
> way that favours no particular group.

That's bad. "Skilled players" are a group, and most of us want to favor
them, right?
--=20
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.
*** Please limit .sigs to four lines and avoid HTML mail or posts. ***

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu