[MUD-Dev] Affect of personalizing cannon fodder mobs

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 14 16:42:25 CEST 1999

Lazarus wrote:

> I think I need to start off with some background perspective for this
> question.  This question is posed in the context of a hack and slash mud
> where mobs repopulate every 'tick'.  Players achieve advancement in this
> mud by killing large numbers of these 'mobs'.  I realize that many members
> of this forum find such limitless supply of mobs unrealistic but this does
> form the background of this question.

It could also be used to populate, say, a large city - where you would
be
likely to bump into any of thousands of people.

They don't necessarily have to be killed :)
Although, I suppose the psychological aspects might be less likely to
be bad.

Perhaps a "locate missing person" type quest would be more realistic if
it was a different person getting lost each time, rather than the same
one every time someone did the quest.

I guess it's a case of giving them names adds realism, and makes the
player
aware that they're "killing" someone with an (apparent) identity. That
would
definately add to the realism, but I really couldn't even guess whether
it'd have better or worse effects psychologically.

- Colin
--
Colin Coghill   ICQ#8108509 |
http://kcbbs.gen.nz/~colin  |       The sleeper must awaken!