[MUD-Dev] Attracting players

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Fri Oct 15 16:35:53 CEST 1999

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On 01:12 PM 10/14/1999 -0500, I personally witnessed Greg Miller jumping up
> to say:
> >
> >That's how you detect AVT/0... for higher levels of AVATAR, there are
> >codes that request a full line of human-readable info, including the
> >exact level of AVATAR support.
>
> Which means precisely squat in terms of color. AVATAR is fully
> backward-compatible, and handles color identically no matter what the level
> of support.

Actually, no. The method you posted only works if they also have ANSI
and AVT/0 and *do not* have AVT/1 or higher support. The AVATAR-specific
method allows you to detect color for people with terminal or telnet
programs that provide full AVATAR support rather than reporting a false
negative.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu