[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 1 12:25:40 CEST 1999

"Ilya, SCC, Game Commando" wrote:

> Some games (not ORPGs, but it could be used there too I'm sure) provide
> certain benefits for not playing too often.  This seems contrived to me.
> "If your next visit is at least 24 hours from now, you will receive a
> reward from your people!"

Something I've been toying with is letting player characters train
their skills, and spend time learning and so on, while offline.

So if you're in a library when you quit, you may log back on to
find your knowledge has increased. Or if you're in the wilderness
you come back to discover your hunting skills improved.

Nowhere near the speed they would if you were actively playing (after
all, this is no-risk), but still quickly enough that your character
doesn't stand still if you're away for a week.

I'm not sure how well it'll work.

- Colin
--
Colin Coghill   ICQ#8108509 |