[MUD-Dev] The Relationship between pkers and monster AI?

Travis Casey efindel at io.com
Thu Sep 9 02:31:25 CEST 1999

On Thursday, September 09, 1999, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

>>I am a bit perplexed by all this discussion as to why people p-kill. I'm
>>also annoyed by the characterization of p-killers as immature kids, etc.

> I agree.  Note by accepting this premise, further discussion of the topic
> can only be conducted by the immature.   Your annoyance is justified.

How do you conclude that?  There's nothing that prevents people who
aren't p-killers from discussing p-killing.  Further, while I haven't
been closely reading all the messages, I've only seen one person
saying that *all* p-killers are immature.  Most are saying that *some*
p-killers are immature.

>>Muds, unlike the table-top games
>>which erroneously are used as the model for muds, allow you to pit player
>>against player, and as someone pointed out, players are and are going to
>>continue to be (for a long time at least), a lot more interesting as
>>opponents than monsters.

It is possible to do player-vs-player scenarios in table-top RPGs; I've
run them before.  There are published adventures built around p-v-p
play.  There are also groups which follow the practice of having an
Adversary -- that is, a person separate from the Game Master who plays
the opposition.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu