[MUD-Dev] The Relationship between pkers and monster AI?

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Sep 10 16:24:14 CEST 1999

On 07:55 PM 9/10/1999 +0000, I personally witnessed Dundee jumping up to say:
>On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 17:38:18 -0700, Caliban Tiresias Darklock
><caliban at darklock.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07:55 PM 9/9/1999 +0000, I personally witnessed Dundee jumping up to say:
>> >
>> >PKing doesn't exist outside of MUD'dom.  If you get PK'd in the ol' weekly
>> >tabletop D&D game, then someone doesn't come back next week - either the PK
>> >or you.
>>
>> Um, that depends rather strongly on the group. My AD&D group delighted in
>
>By PKing, I mean non-consensual PvP combat.

You mean like when one player just attacks another without previous
arrangement or agreement? Yup, that's just what we did.

>If you delighted in killing each other and your typical game consisted of
>fighting each other, then it wasn't non-consensual.

There was no inherent understanding that in any given game, we were going
to get into big intraparty brawls. It just happened that way. We never set
out to do this. Half the time we sat around at the end of the evening going
"why do all our games turn out like this?" and laughing about it. But THAT
DOES NOT MAKE IT CONSENSUAL. Acceptance and consent are two different things.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu