[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Wes Connell wconnell at adhesive.com
Thu Sep 16 14:05:26 CEST 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, J C Lawrence wrote:

> One problem with this approach, tho it could be a benefit, is that
> the concept of "practicing" goes away.  The only way to learn a
> skill in this world is to go out and use it in real circumstances
> where to some extent you put yourself on the line in doing so.

Simple, allow practicing up to a certain small point. In UO if you have 0
in a skill you will gain 0.5% just for using the skill. Whether you fail
or not doesn't matter. The gain will eventually level off depending on the
skill. Usually around 20-30%. Same thing with the training and pickpockets
dummies. You can only push your skill to around 30% or so with those. THEN
you have to go use your skill in the real world.

IRL: I could sit in my apartment all day and practice cartwheels till I
think I am good. But if I go to the Super Bowl Half Time show and try one
on the 50 yard line I would be so nervous I would wet myself and fall
down. =]

Point being, allow "practicing" just curve it off.

Wes!
wconnell at adhesive.com
		-- Henry Spencer

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu