[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Koster Koster
Fri Sep 17 09:21:35 CEST 1999

Yes, it was a heavily advertised feature. I personally think it was because
of the psychology of it. Again--people value community standing more than
they value game prowess. They got more from running the first comprehensive
spell combo website than they did from casting the spells in-game. Also,
it's human nature to share discoveries and show off being clever... So
you're talking about a short-term reward vs long-term penalties. A group as
a whole will just about always choose the short-term thinking.

> Of course, I imagine that most of the folks playing a
> big-name game like
> that are used to single-player games where there is no
> comptetion between
> players for resources.  You either cooperate and share all
> your knowledge,
> or you try to kill each other constantly.  There's no
> inbetween of 'if I
> take this, no one else can have it' or vice versa.

At this point, I would guess that the vast majority of Asheron's Call beta
testers are actually moderately experienced online gamers, though a
significant fraction were probably attracted via the Zone's advertising and
are therefore not persistent world online gamers necessarily.

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu