[MUD-Dev] Attracting players

Ilya Ilya
Fri Sep 17 12:48:41 CEST 1999

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:09:16 -0700 (PDT), Adam Wiggins wrote:

))On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:
))> Back int he day, Legend had a very nice site. Now it is very dated. We're
))> working on an update at http://mud.sig.net/new/
))
))Wow - *very* nice!  I certainly think that this will make a difference.
))Just trying to capture the mood that your mud presents with a web page
))is probably the trickiest part, and what I see here does a good job.
))
))Now you just need to put the words 'sex', 'Microsoft', 'Pokemon', 'anime',
))and 'Linux' in small print at the bottom of the main page to make sure
))that you turn up on search engines. :)
))
))Adam

Good one!  Seriously, I will comment on this directly later on, but
I just thought I'd throw in these stats from a recent study -- the
largest search engines are aware of no more than 16 percent of pages
on the web.  Yahoo (arguably the most _popular_) knows about something
like half of that.  And the worst (among them Yahoo) for registration
can take as long as six months to get to you from the time you tell
them you exist.

I've got the full report here somewhere, and can bring it up for all
to see if desired.  Just wanted to shoot something off on this one.

Cheers

--
  Ilya, Game Commandos     http://www.gamecommandos.com

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu