[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Fri Sep 17 19:47:35 CEST 1999

"Koster, Raph" wrote:
> > From: Adam Wiggins [mailto:adam at angel.com]

> > Hmmm - were people aware that if they shared this knowledge,
> > their spells
> > would start to suck?  If so then their players were either a) way too
> > generous for their own good, or b) not too bright.
>
> Yes, it was a heavily advertised feature. I personally think it was because
> of the psychology of it. Again--people value community standing more than
> they value game prowess. They got more from running the first comprehensive
> spell combo website than they did from casting the spells in-game. Also,

Having a "finite" static global list of "passwords" is braindead in a game
with a large playerbase, no matter how you look at it.

If players share bug exploits with only their closest friends then the
knowledge will spread fairly quickly (because of the overlaps between groups
of friends). If players share only the "passwords" which they can do
without, then they will still spread most of them (assuming different people
fancy different things).

> So
> you're talking about a short-term reward vs long-term penalties. A group as
> a whole will just about always choose the short-term thinking.

Actually, I would say entering the hall-of-fame by making a comprehensive
website would be long-term thinking.  It's one way to "win" the game,
right?  Figuring out the puzzle. Having the most complete collection.

--
Ola

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu