[MUD-Dev] an essay on PK

Jeremy Jeremy
Mon Sep 20 09:19:10 CEST 1999

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Marian Griffith wrote:
> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Fri 17 Sep, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
> > For what it's worth, Shriners (as far as I can imagine) would never have
> > bothered killing Marian's tailor.  (No challenge.)
>
> Which is, of course, not quite the issue with the tailor dilemma. The
> question is not if  she will or will not be attacked,  but who should
> protect her if the game allows her to chose a non-violent profession.

Hi.  My mud handles this very simply.  If you do damage to a player, it
does a check to all pk flags and if it isn't a valid kill it a) won't do
damage if the non-pk being attacked is more than 10 levels lower, and b)
sets a killer flag that mobs with a certain spec set will check and
attack.  Make wandering guards in a city with the spec set and you have
mobs that will jump to the rescue.

Sterling @ Wyld Knight

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu