[MUD-Dev] Re: Dynamic muds

Ilya Ilya
Thu Sep 23 15:42:45 CEST 1999

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 05:28:54 -0700 (PDT), Katrina McClelan wrote:

))A typical diku mud merges like items as it is, which is
))more CPU intensive, either in pre-sorting or in run time sorting than it
))would be to splice text.  It's an ugly algorithm to implement in code, but
))that has nothing to do with its run time performance.
))
))-Katrina

I've seen our friend at The Eternal City implement this the
other way around (and was fascinated by it) -- that is, there
are group objects.  You can look for things in this group.  At
the time someone does that, one particular example of a member
of that group is created.  Until then, the group objects are
all that exist.  And eventually, the individual instantiations
are subsumed into the group, if possible.

I have a few ideas to extend this, but that's the core idea.

Anybody else doing this, or have thoughts about this?

  Ilya, Game Commandos     http://www.gamecommandos.com

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu