[MUD-Dev] Re: Dynamic muds

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Thu Sep 23 17:58:08 CEST 1999

On 9/23/99, at 3:42 PM, Ilya, Game Commandos wrote:

>I've seen our friend at The Eternal City implement this the
>other way around (and was fascinated by it) -- that is, there
>are group objects.  You can look for things in this group.  At
>the time someone does that, one particular example of a member
>of that group is created.  Until then, the group objects are
>all that exist.  And eventually, the individual instantiations
>are subsumed into the group, if possible.
>
>I have a few ideas to extend this, but that's the core idea.
>
>Anybody else doing this, or have thoughts about this?

Discworld does this with money currently (I am sure other people do similar
things with money as well).  Someone is also working on a group npc object
which behaves in the same way as the money does, it splits off into bits
when it is asked to do so.

Items in rooms work sort of like this too, the item keeps track of what is
was queried on and then returns that description.  This allows the items to
function as real objects and real targets without actualy being multiple
objects and targets.

It does create some problems...  Especially (I imagine) if you did not plan
on doing it like that from the start and your trying to integrate it into
an existing system.

Fluffy down the floor,
David.

PS http://imaginaryrealities.imaginary.com - Imaginary Realities, the