[MUD-Dev] The Relationship between pkers and monster AI?

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Sep 23 21:19:32 CEST 1999

On 08:53 PM 9/23/1999 -0400, I personally witnessed Laurel Fan jumping up
to say:
>Excerpts from muddev: 23-Sep-99 Re: [MUD-Dev] The Relations.. by Caliban
>T. Darklock at dark
>> Then why are they playing these games? I'm sure you've detected the theme
>> here. If you don't like roleplaying, go play something else. If you log
>> onto a MUD, you should *expect* others to roleplay, because that is a major
>> part of these type of games.
>
>Because some MUDs aren't for roleplaying.  And roleplaying is not a part
>of _these_ games. [...] I don't see what's wrong with that.

Nothing's wrong with that. However, most MUDs *pretend* to support
roleplaying, and *ostensibly* provide a "world" in which your "character"
can "adventure" -- when they're really just scavenger hunts. If you don't
support roleplaying, don't pretend to. If you claim to have a world and
characters and adventures, then people should be expected to play their
characters as part of this world while they participate in these
adventures. If this is not acceptable behavior, then don't *pretend* it is.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu