[MUD-Dev] an essay on PK

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Mon Sep 27 15:37:28 CEST 1999

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Chris Turner wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> > I did a simple draw/sheathe mechanism for a diku a long time ago, relying
> > on an imaginary sheath (I always wanted to make sheath items, but that
> > was a bit too much of a change at the time).
> >
> > It worked like this:  'draw' (or 'dr') would draw your weapon(s), while
> > 'sheathe' (or 'sh') would put them away.  You automatically draw your
> > weapon at the start of combat, at the expense of a delay (very small
> > for experienced fighters, and zero if you're extremely skillfull).
>
> A bit like 'wield' and 'remove' then with some kind of fastdraw skill thrown
> in?  You don't actually need a sheath item - slipping it into the belt would
> work just fine.

Bubba masterfully severs JoeBob's head.
JoeBob is dead! R.I.P.
Bubba slides his razor-sharp sword into his belt.
BUbba's belt is cut in two and falls to the ground.
Bubba's pants pool around his ankles, revealing red boxers with a pattern of white hearts.

> I assume both fighters have to draw their weapons - so it's not totally
> unfair to someone who is unprepared?  Do you have it so that if one fighter
> is slower, they have to dodge until they have a free moment to pull out
> their blade?

The way things were set up there, combat did not start instantly.
Engaging an opponent caused you to draw your weapon and start circling
them most of the time, giving your victim plenty of chance to draw their
weapon, get out a shield, or turn tail and flee before any blows are
struck.

> Hence the notion of the peaceknot - tying the sword in the sheath makes it
> impossible to whip out at moments notice.  Another feature I can think of is
> blood.

Good idea.

> Surely if you've just slashed someones' throat you're gonna be
> covered in the stuff along with your blade.  I doubt many guards would think
> twice before throwing someone into the local jail when walking about with a
> blood covered sword and covered in the stuff themselves.

True.  One thing I've always wanted to implement, but never got around
to, was good object damage in terms of tearing, breaking, and blood
splatters.  Thus if there was a wizard wearing a delicate silk robe,
getting it by disembowling him would probably mean that the thing is
practically ruined.  Thus making direct methods of aquiring clothing
and equipment less attractive.  (This is similar to the effects of
acid blast on Arctic - great spell for PKing, unless you happen to want
any of their gear to be intact when you are done fighting them.)

Adam

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu