[MUD-Dev] The Player Wimping Guidebook

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Aug 1 22:08:24 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 2:37 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] The Player Wimping Guidebook

> People actually DO this?? I always thought player wipes were just a joke
> threat, like the boogie man is to children. My lord, I have an extremely
> different sense of "responsibility" than most of you, but for crying out
> loud, wiping out your players has got to be the lamest, most asinine
> solution to a problem I've ever heard of. If you have to wipe your player
> base out to correct a problem in your design, you suck.
>
> --matt

    There are times that this is justified. But generally in a 'known in
advance' method. You have a mud: MyMud. You and the staff are going to make
a major change in it, say from classes to a classless system.  You know that
this is going to require a lot of tweaking and work to get the balance of it
correctly.  So one option is to open up a second server, a beta, of your
game. On there, any players made and gains made will be lost at the end of
the period. Many online games do betas. That's the equivalent of a
playerwipe.
    Of course, if it's the case of MyMud, then the nice thing would be to
convert or reincarnate the original player characters when the beta goes
gold.

    Rayzam
    www.retromud.org