[MUD-Dev] On Lockless Threading and X/Open XA

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Aug 2 21:28:27 CEST 2000

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 00:50:11 -0700
Bruce  <bruce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I suspect an interesting analysis could be made of the way that
> backend design changes as you scale from supporting 50 to 500 to
> 5000 to 50k players in a single world.

Sadly I don't know of aanybody confronting the more generally
interesting (and extremely complex) problem of truly distributed
worlds where the world definition is really the anonymous collective
formed by arbitrary and loosely connected nodes.  Undergrad CS
students often come up with the idea -- htey just have no
comprehension of the scale of the problem.  NWN is sort of attacking
this, but is (wisely) skipping the real mind boggling stuff of fully
componentising the world local definition.

What if the arbitrarily distributed form of InterMUD and portals
were as ubiquitous and well defined as HTTP?

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu