[MUD-Dev] The Player Wimping Guidebook

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Wed Aug 2 23:55:04 CEST 2000

Hmm.  I really rather dislike sweeping generalizations about what the
players like or don't like, and this is no exception.

What I've observed is that the players who are already dissatisfied with
the game are likely to agree with *anyone* who says bad things about the
admins, and the players who are getting what they want from the game
generally ignore or pillory folks like Tenarius. There are -- of course --
any number of responses in the middle, but these two seem to be the
pertinent ones.

As for the merits of what he's said... It hardly matters how true or false
his suppositions are when he frames it as warfare between players and
admins. He's doing no one any favors. From my perspective there is
certainly some truth to what he says, but it's all couched in such
self-righteous, hostile rhetoric that it's nothing more than fan-service
for disaffected players.

Insert malapropped MacLuhan quote here.

-Zak Jarvis

"Because this is to be asserted in general of men, that they are
ungrateful, fickle, false, cowardly, covetous, and as long as you succeed
they are yours entirely; they will offer you their blood, property, life
and children, as is said above, when the need is far distant; but when it
approaches they turn against you." -Nicolo Machiavelli (W. K. Marriott
Translation).

 http://www.voidmonster.com