[MUD-Dev] World Event Model

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Thu Aug 3 18:02:22 CEST 2000

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Matt Chatterley wrote:
> The server coincidentally uses a number of threads for managing different
> aspects of the game, but I'll describe only one element for now - the
> event handling and event model.
> [snip]
> Combined with a suitable (internally) complex skill system, this could be
> very interesting indeed.

Nothing to add here, as I fully agree.  As I've mentioned before, I've
been using a system almost exactly like you describe for about four years
now.  I released the source code to the event queue (I call them 'tasks')
two days ago, as announced on this list.  And of course, you can always
check it out 'in action' by logging onto the mud.

(Aside: it seems there's more interest than I thought; it's been downloaded
several hundred times in the last day.  My poor residential DSL is struggling
to keep up...)

Adam