[MUD-Dev] The Player Wimping Guidebook

Jerry Hill mal2 at ao.net
Fri Aug 4 09:07:37 CEST 2000

Raph Koster wrote:
> One of the great assumed orthodoxies of the list is that it's
> pretty much all admins. There's therefore a marked tendency to regard
> muds as the admins' private playground, a certain level of arrogance
> regarding "I don't care what the players think." If we were honest with
> ourselves we'd know that it's never that clearcut even in muds which
> *are* someone's private playground.

For the record, I'm not an admin, nor am I building my own mudlib (at
least, not yet), I'm just a player.  I was a wizard at a mud once though
(ObOffTopic: Hi Talien, Rayzam, and any other Retromud people who may be
lurking).  I'm also a computer programmer, tabletop RPG GM, and
subscribe to a mailing list about builing MUDs, so my opinions probably
don't reflect those of your average player either :)

With all that said, I feel very strongly that the admins have the
-responsibility- to make changes both to evolve the game and
maintain/restore balance.  Part of a mud evolving will innevitably include
shifts of power among the existing players, and the admins are then
responsible for bringing things back into balance when they get too far
out of line.

Jerry "Just a player" Hill
lyshal at retromud