[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Shawn L Johnston sjohnston at satshot.com
Tue Aug 22 17:40:37 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at email.msn.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 11:51 AM
> In the real world we have all the processes and checks and balances of the
> real world - proof by obvious.  In a virtual world we don't have the same
> checks and balances.  Most obviously there is the fact that the player is
> not the character.  The moral judgement of a character is pretty weak
given
> that its decisions are made by a player who is 'outside the law'.  This is
> why murdering thieves are so rampant in worlds that permit such an
> individual to be successful or thrive.
>
> Because we lack the normal checks and balances of the real world, I
believe
> that a strong justice system is needed.  Criminal acts MUST NOT be
permitted
> to go unchecked.  In a virtual world, the worst crimes are those that
annoy
> players and make them go away.  These are the ones that must be kept in
> check first.  And that is the basis of the moral system.  But what actions
> annoy players?  Hmmm.  Where to get a self-consistent and relatively
complete
> set of rules on how to get a large population of people to get along most
> successfully?  How about Christianity?  How about Buddhism?  How about
Islam?
> Very smart people have been refining the rules of life for countless
> generations, and those smart people frequently converge and agree that
> certain rules of life are natural and important to follow.

I think your getting into an even broader debate, which is how much of an
online game should be a simulation of reality. I would argue that part of
the (personal) appeal of an online game is that its society exists as
seperate from that of the real world and that you can roleplay events and
actions that you would not have the opportunity to do in the real world.

While I would not advocate a system that allows players to completely run
over each other, I don't think you want to impose upon players a system
with a strict moral code that results in crippling players' opportunities
for interaction with each other (especially including conflict).

Shawn
www.satshot.com