[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Aug 24 00:23:26 CEST 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Jeff Freeman wrote:

> At 07:25 PM 8/23/00 +0000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> >I think one of the differences here is that I don't do games focussed on
> >player vs. NPC. I'm really only interested in games that focus on Player
> >vs. Player conflict, in all its forms (competitive politics, economics,
> >combat, war, etc), and if all the players get lovey-dovey with each other,
> >life would be very boring.
>
> Is there really much chance of that happening anyway?  Serious question.  I
> recently turned the reigns of Happy Sunshine Joy Fun World over to someone
> else, and I'm working on a more PvP-oriented thing.  Thus far, all the
> players are planning on working together, all for the common good, crushing
> evildoers and annoying twinks, and in the end having Happy Sunshine Joy Fun
> World part II (with this Utopia being the result of them making and
> enforcing their own rules, versus commandments from above).

It's a matter of whether they are running out and killing each other out
of sheer boredom or out of a proactive desire to nail their enemies. If
they have no real enemies, then it just boils down to random chaos with
people whacking each other out of a lack of anything better to do.

You have to enable group hatred of each other to make it constructive, in
my opinion.

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1