[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Aug 24 07:24:15 CEST 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, John Buehler wrote:

> Yet another attempt at limiting PvP (which might completely backfire)
> is to scrap the constant powermongering that players go through as they
> advance in 'level'.  If an experienced character is no more than two or
> three times the combat effectiveness of a newbie (who is not quite
> combat competent, but can still butcher meat and chop wood), then Matt
> Mihaly's Lord versus Newbie scenario isn't as clear-cut.  The Lord has
> to worry all the time about a bunch of newbies ganging up on him.  No
> single character can simply trot around town pounding people because
> that's what His Lordship thinks is right.

This is easy to do, and we did it in Achaea. It doesn't matter how
powerful you are, or whether you've spent $5000 on the game or not. 4
low-levels who know what they are doing can take you out, end of story.
There is, in fact, almost nothing you could do about it, provided the
newbies knew what they are doing. Luckily for Lord Studly, low-levels
generally do not know what they are doing. It is, then, a superiority of
knowledge that allows Lord Studly to generally beat these 4 low-levels at
once, and frankly, I have no problem with that. God forbid the day when
mere time spent determines success in all games (imagine someone becoming
a Grandmaster in chess just because he spent 3000 hours playing it!
Ludicrous!)

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1