[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Brian 'Psychochild' Green brian at psychochild.org
Thu Aug 24 22:23:48 CEST 2000

John Buehler wrote:

> It depends on what 'allows PvP' means.  I'm currently working on systems
> and such that attempt to permit PvP actions, but for which there are
> significant in-game consequences.
[...snip...]
> It is my hope that in-game sactions can be boosted to
> the point where most players won't pursue PvP.  There will always be
> those intent on playing grief roles, but if they are kept to a minimum,
> the impact of negative PvP actions on players should be kept to a
> minimum as well.

Three words: Don't do it.

If you don't like PvP, then don't put it in the game.  The big three
graphical commercial MUDs have shown that people are more than happy to
play in a game without PvP.

If you follow through with your stated plan, two things could happen.
First, you could get your wish, and no one will PvP.  However, if you
plan on having a sizable playerabase, the more likely scenario is that
the only PvPers will be the grief players.  These people will find the
weakness in your system, and exploit it for all it's worth.  They will
find a way to avoid the penalties, or at least lessen them.  Then, these
people will prey on your "good players"; however, the massive penalties
you put in place will prevent them from defending themselves.  The
people not adept at abusing the system will be struck full force by the
penalties, and they'll be fighting a losing battle.

I saw this happen on Meridian 59.  I believe Raph has spoken on this
same issue quite a few times as well, at least at conferences.

Just some warning.  Given your dislike for PvP from the posts to the
list, I recommend leaving it out altogether.

--
"And I now wait / to shake the hand of fate...."  -"Defender", Manowar
     Brian Green, brian at psychochild.org  aka  Psychochild
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'  "Ritalin Cures Next Picasso"
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)               -The_Onion_, August 4th, 1999