[MUD-Dev] PvP solutions WAS: UO rants

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Fri Aug 25 20:35:02 CEST 2000

I've still got this interesting theory for a method that I want to
elaborate at some point, but I have been so swamped in work lately I've not
had time. (The good thing there, of course, is that our game is getting
closer to release)...

It's a pretty simple concept, really.

The idea that characters have mental as well as physical health, and it's
only possible to attack (and later kill) other people if certain
deleterious mental states have been achieved.

Of course, it'd end up being a game mechanic that I could easily see
causing all kinds of political ruckus. "Ratings Board Targets Serial-Killer
Virtual Pet".

That doesn't stop me from being interested in how players would react to
characters who refuse to do certain actions. My sense is that if it's
presented correctly, most would accept it.

-Zak Jarvis
 http://www.voidmonster.com