[MUD-Dev] PK vs. PvP (was: UO rants)

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Sun Aug 27 10:41:25 CEST 2000

I've never seen an environment that encourages the best in people without
also encouraging the worst. Reach for the stars, trip and fall into the
bubbling cauldera. Or something like that.

> There's also anothe assertion in the same post I didn't reply to, it
> was that PvP was rewarding because "it puts you against people that
> are as smart or smarter than you are".
>
> As many people know, the smarts of the typical player in a game world
> is inversely proportional to the player base size... :)

For me, PvP makes rewarding environments for a very simple reason. Civility
isn't possible without the threat of harm. Now mind you, 'harm' can take a
LOT of forms, but the basic concept holds. Of course, I think there's a lot
of room for innovation in this regard with games, and the current models
are (I feel) inadequate. Partly that's because of the parallel issues of
anonymity. (Ring of Gyges anyone?)

-Zak Jarvis
 So, take a pointy stick and
 touch piggy's eyes