[MUD-Dev] [paper] The Sacred and the Virtual: Religion in Multi-User Virtual Reality

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 27 15:39:44 CEST 2000

Here is an interesting paper for your reading pleasure.
Some of these worlds have interfaces that are solely textual
and some very much like Diablo with avatars and objects that can
be manipulated in ritual.  In either case, I think they qualify
as very mud like.  The disappointments, shortcomings, and differences
as compared to the real life behavior, rituals and services are frankly
discussed.  Many of the problems experienced are quite reminiscent
of those we associate with communications in heavily roleplay-centric
games.  The abstract sums it up nicely.

   <http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol4/issue2/schroeder.html>

-------------
Abstract

This paper explores the social interaction among participants in a
church service in an online multi-user virtual reality (VR) environment.
It examines some of the main features of prayer meetings in a
religiously-oriented virtual world and also what sets this world apart
from other virtual worlds. Next, it examines some of the issues of
research ethics and methods that are raised in the study of online
behavior in virtual worlds. The paper then analyzes the text exchanges
between participants in a virtual church service and some of the ways
in which these compare with the content of a conventional church
service. Finally, the paper draws out some implications for our
understanding of the relation between interaction in the virtual and
in the "real" world.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:tychomud at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--