[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sun Aug 27 16:50:04 CEST 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, John Buehler wrote:

> I see PvP as a necessary aspect of a game world.  But I want non-consentual, disruptive PvP to be
> dealt with harshly.  You can take an item from my belt without my taking any up-front action.  If
> I'm not happy with your doing so, I can report that theft as a crime and you are now going to be
> hunted by the justice system.  I can't touch you except to perhaps take the item back.  I cannot use
> assault in order to do that.

If you _only_ want non-consensual PvP (and, as you want users who do it
dealt with harshly, it seems a bit silly to allow them to dig themselves
into a proverbial hole like th at), then why not just literally _always_
require consent to attack someone. Something like:

REQUEST COMBAT WITH <whoever>

Bob can agree, and if so, he's open to attack by you for the next 5
minutes or whatever. If he says no, then he can't be attacked. That seems
to be what you are going for.

--matt