[MUD-Dev] Reincarnation instead of Resurrection

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sun Aug 27 20:32:37 CEST 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Lovecraft wrote:

> From: Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>
>
> > [Middle Earth Online wasn't] doing actual permadeath. Quite a bit of
> > your character was just going to pass to a "sibling" or something
> > similar. It's not real permadeath.
>
> I'm curious to see a URL of a MUD that does re-incarnation or lineage,
> re-incarnation into a kin.
>
> It is theoretically more IC-plausible than resurrection.  It appeals to
> role-players, in theory.  I remember playing and GMing several pencil&paper
> systems where the GM used points transference.  The points total from the
> dead character was used to make up a new one, at a penalty.  It wasn't a
> MUD, and I am a deviant in the psychographics of MUD players, so I doubt its
> MUD player appeal.

Well, I would say that anything and everything is just as IC-plausible as
anything and everything else. If part of my world is that resurrection is
common, then it is completely IC-plausible, I'd say.

--matt

"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1