[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sun Aug 27 21:22:30 CEST 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Koster, Raph wrote:

> Heh. Well, IMHO, if the graphical developers paid more attention to text
> muds, they'd by and large realize they're not as innovative as they think.
> (I can get away with saying that without giving offense, I hope, because I
> am one of them!)

It's difficult for me to agree without sounding like I'm blowing my own
horn, but oh well. Graphical muds are like simplistic text muds for the
most part. I assume that eventually they will gain some more depth to
them, but the first generation of big graphical games did not really break
much new ground aside from technically, in my opinion. EQ, after all,
is little more than a graphical DIKU (which is certainly one of the
less-impressive designs, I think.) Your A-life system on UO would have if
it had worked, but I don't think I'm offending you (as you've said it
before) when I opine that it was a complete failure. I also rather like
the large range of trade skills in UO, though it's nothing that text muds
haven't done on a smaller scale.

Oh well. We lame(sic) little text developers will have to rely on you to
remind the graphical world that reinventing the wheel is not impressive.
--matt

"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1