[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Tess Lowe tess at havensong.com
Mon Aug 28 11:19:41 CEST 2000

Dave Rickey said:
> > Yes, it means there's no such thing as complete victory,
> > things are going to always be at one level or another of stalemate.
> > It's that, or a mature state where one realm completely owns a server.

Raph replied:
> Do you worry that players will pick up on the futility of the battle and
> stop fighting it?

It does seem incredibly difficult for players to stop fighting a battle even
when they *have* realised the futility of it. In achaea, many players seek
to transcend the "good vs evil" conflict between our two oldest cities (and
that includes the leaders of the major martial groups on *both* sides).
Indeed, my role as a goddess in that realm is to actively encourage people
to accept the futility of unwinnable conflict and pursue acceptance and
tolerance of the other cultures in the land.

Despite all this, and despite the fact that achaean prophecy actively points
to the ending of the "good vs evil" cycle of hatred
(http://www.achaea.com/history/seleucar/seleucar01.htm) the battle goes on.
It would appear that some players will always want to prove themselves
against each other in battle, and this makes them immune to the futility of
the war itself, because each new generation gets hooked on the honour and
respect they receive from fighting. It doesn't seem to matter that they
can't actually *win*.

~Tess