[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Ananda Dawnsinger ananda at winterreach.com
Mon Aug 28 11:55:22 CEST 2000

> From: "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicgames.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:56:01 -0400
> To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
> Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] UO rants

Watch how long it takes before a powerful enough leader gets sick of the
status quo and organizes effective opposition.

I've seen this cycle happen in three different games now.  However, in all
three cases, the "winning team" that was overthrown had distinct grief
tendencies.  I'm not sure you can mount effective opposition against an
established "winner" who's mature enough to play fair and share the wealth.

A couple of things I've noticed in this regard:

Rule #1: Any game that isn't biased toward statism is by definition biased
toward anarchy.

Rule #2: Unless civilized conduct is specifically selected for, atavism will
have the clear and obvious early advantage.  Civilized conduct will tend to
win out in the long run, but at a very high emotional cost.

  -- Sharon