[MUD-Dev] UO rants

gmiller at classic-games.com gmiller at classic-games.com
Mon Aug 28 13:08:10 CEST 2000

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00854.php

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 20:38:58 -0700
Brad Wyble <wyble at wjh.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Not if the PVP- zone is the size of the united states, and you can't
> teleport, or teleport spells have a 10 minute casting time.  I should
> have made this more explicit I guess.  Got any more?

The reason this approach has historically been a problem is that most muds lack
any real weapons for shutting down grief players other than killing them. If
you've got other good anti-griefer weapons, it's not such a big deal. If you
don't, then the players have no real solution but to complain loudly, log out,
and (maybe) come back later.