[MUD-Dev] Avatar rights redux

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Mon Aug 28 15:02:13 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at verant.com>
To: 'mud-dev at kanga.nu' <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Monday, August 28, 2000 1:26 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Avatar rights redux

>I finished writing an article requested by David Bennett for Imaginary
>Realities on the whole avatar rights thread of a few months back. It can be
>found on my website at
>http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming/playerrights.html, and someday David
>will post it on his site. :)
>
>Also, Lum the Mad has run a news item on it, so there's a discussion thread
>there now as well, for those who are interested.

    At essence, players have only *one* right, and it can't be taken from
them right now: The Right of Departure.  Only to the extent that their
excercise of that (actual or potential) impacts the admins do they have any
others, which are in fact priveledges, insofar as they are given to them by
a stronger entity with the power to take them away..

    That makes for a bleak potential future when the fully integrated
virtual and online society leaves you with no right of departure.

--Dave Rickey (where do I sign up for the Resistance?)