[MUD-Dev] "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG"

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 1 02:31:35 CET 2000

Michael Tresca wrote:

> When I play an RPG, I can clearly see that the person I'm dealing with is a
> child.  Adult players who are immature are harder to spot -- but not that
> hard after some time spent role-playing with them.
> Regardless, chances are the adult has an edge over the child due to more
> advanced knowledge (including language skills, math skills, etc.).  There's
> a learning curve to play the game based on the RPG's complexity. On a MUD,
> unless the child picks an obviously "D00Dish" name, their identification is
> more difficult.  The immature person has access to a fully functioning adult
> body.
>
> MUDs, in an attempt to maximize their appeal to the broadest audience
> possible, often make character creation easy.
>
> Lack of age barrier + Easy character creation = most common player on the
> Internet.
>
> Who's the most common player on the Internet with the most free time and
> access to a computer?
>
> Why, children of course.  Off-school sessions (summers, in the US) provide
> millions of examples of this.

These are all great points.

Muds today have a much high percentage of children than they used to,
and quite a bit higher than they will ever admit to.
It is even higher on graphical muds because of the marketing largely
overlaps the same target audience as flashy video games.

> What's the solution?  It's the same solution for the adult world -- the
> immature person must be absorbed into the adult culture through corrective
> behavior.  This does not, by any means, require the administrator's
> intervention.

Here I disagree.  The effective adult solution in the real world when it
comes to voluntary associations with immature/asocial people is simply
NOT to associate with them.  If we're talking about FTF role-playing games,
you simply do not invite that immature child or adult back to play.
End of story.  Problem solved.

For an online role-playing game, you've got the horrible problem of
leaving the front door to your living room open with a huge sign
with arrows on it saying "Welcome come on in!"

The simple solution for a online role-playing game is ban and delete...
ban and delete... when you've got the d00dz in the house.

A number of effective preventive solutions have developed over the
years and are currently done already in serious online role-playing
games.

1) Frontload as much information about the game style, theme and
   play expectations.
   a) Web pages
   b) Forced reading - Simply require the player to read certain
      files which toggle their userid as having read before they
      can begin character creation.
2) Lengthy and thorough process of character generation (chargen)
   that requires immortal approval.
3) Implement Guest logins which are just crippled characters which
   can't be seen or heard, but may observe with certain limitations.
   Obviously they should be able to be seen and heard by those whose
   task it is to provide help and information on the game.

#1 above doesn't do much to discourage the d00dz, as they obviously
won't read it.
#2 is probably the most effective screen against d00dz.
#3 allows the d00dz in the house without them trashing it, and also
serves as an early warning d00dz detection system.  The limited
social interaction with the mud's staff will reveal the too far
gone d00dz right away.

Regardless lots of obnoxius sorts will get in, you just have
Of course I am talking about the extremes, the d00dz or whatever.
There are of course the occasional problem players who do benefit
from the occasional corrective action.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--