[MUD-Dev] Threads

James Thomas rasdan1 at home.com
Fri Dec 1 13:38:50 CET 2000

> Ben Chambers wrote:
>    Your right, I did mean ports.  But in the MUD I am writing, each
> player is assigned their own thread so it is essentially the same
> thing.  And I agree with the comment about ports being pointless, after
> all, the same effect happens with a single port, only you have to code
> it specially, but multi port would have to be coded even more
> difficult.  The reason I asked was because to me it seemed so pointless,
> that I wondered if their was a hidden purpose, which made people use them.

I run a MUD where we use two different ports. We do it because on the
main port, it is preferred by both us and players that the world remain
static.

If you are going to make changes, make them all at once. We also do it
because our other port is often a 'test port' where all new code is tested.
New building and new code are done on the same port, apart from the game
port.

Different commands are enabled on various ports and this is done through a
simple
if-check, along the lines of:

if (OnMainPort) {
    /* Disallow */