[MUD-Dev] Object Models

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Sat Dec 2 03:03:29 CET 2000

Bruce writes:

> John Buehler wrote:
> > Also, I'm starting to get nervous about talking about
> > this stuff in detail - for legal reasons.  I've talked
> > about the depth that I have because I've seen public
> > comments by Clemens along these lines, but I'm not sure
> > where the final line is drawn.
>
> A quick websearch turned up:
>
> http://www.components-online.com/
> http://www.designbycontract.com/
> http://www.sdmagazine.com/articles/2000/0005/0005l/0005l.htm
> http://www.research.microsoft.com/users/cszypers/
> http://www.research.microsoft.com/users/cszypers/pub/
>
> Looks like that should give me at least enough reading to keep
> busy for a while. :)

Yes, and I should add that what my team was attempting was 80 to 90% rehash
of well-documented and established ideas, so there really is plenty out
there on the topic.  We were exploring them in detail for use in a
production effort.

Other phrases you might want to search on are "Black Box Testing" and "White
Box Testing" to hit the testing side of things.  And be careful, because
'component' means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.
One of our team went to a conference on object oriented topics and was on a
panel.  The panel was about defining what a component is.  There seemed to
be four or so distinct interpretations of the word.

JB