[MUD-Dev] Cash for Lawsuits

Patrick Dughi dughi at imaxx.net
Wed Dec 6 00:52:24 CET 2000

<<EdNote: Quote trimmed>>

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> The distinguishing phrase is 'You may under no circumstances make
> profit'.  On the one hand, if you simply sink all the monies sent to you
> into the game (server hardware, external code contracts, colo/bandwidth
> fees, etc), it can be argued that you did not make profit.  On another
> tack, if all money is payed to a company which you do not control or own,
> then you still made no profit from it.  I'm sure more weasels could be
> made around this, and as someone else already said, the lack of a
> specification of exactly who 'You' refers to is a bit of a weakness.
> Licenses written in the second person scare me    :)

	Public statments by the DikuMUD staff over the years on many
usenet forums make their concept of this topic rather clear.  Whether
public explanations in the form of semi-offical addendums is legal enough
to count... who's to say.

	The wording is further reinforced in some of the derivitive muds
licencing statments; circlemud in particular.  I believe you can find a
copy of the circlemud license ...failing all else... at
ftp://ftp.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/3.x/uncompressed/circle30bpl17/doc/license.doc

	I don't think it's in any doubt that the Diku license is in need
of replacement(*) - it simply isn't an up to snuff legal document.

					PjD