[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Wed Dec 6 10:55:06 CET 2000

With one major exception, I'd disagree.  There isn't one point in the
essay that couldn't be addressed by design philosophy rather than
extensive new code.  They've shown they can distribute loot in other
ways than static spawns (Kunark - and somebody mentioned they were
looking at spawns in the original game).  They've shown that they
recognize a need for adjusting to the monopolizing of uber-spawns
(dragons and 53+, more higher-level zones).  There is certainly a
viable structure in place to tell stories, or design quests that are
more sophisticated than FedEx.  They simply don't seem to know how.

The major exception is of course the scoring system.  While you CAN
roleplay, or help others, or just explore, or improve your baking, the
scoring system still only recognizes loot and level.  And since
Vellious doesn't raise levels, it's now just loot.  Look at all the
messages from the developers.  They talk about all the cool new things
there are to do in Vellious.  But what do they focus on?  Loot.  Loot.
Loot.  Making the loot bigger, better and harder to get.  Despite the
kewl d00ds who make up a disproportionate portion of the players, and
really don't need any other measure, it is the monotony of it all that
I think finally drives people away.

Even with that scoring system in place and apparently immutable, I'd
still suggest ALL of the other points could be addressed.

Also, to suggest that EQ2 will solve everything is to suggest the same
designers see the problems AS problems.  They may actually be happy
with how the game is being played.  Who knows?

Random thoughts from

Lee Sheldon