[MUD-Dev] A list of MMORPG Questions

Koster Koster
Fri Dec 8 19:33:36 CET 2000

I have now (shudder) seen references to muds as being "text-based
MMORPGs."

Meridian 59 was actually marketed as a graphical mud. It didn't help
anyone except mudders (who aren't a very large market). The computer
game market had no idea what it meant. And I don't think the
commercial text muds actually used the word mud by and large (did
they?).

As far as the origin of the term--well, I guess it started with UO,
since I don't recall it being applied to anything else. There were
discussions on "what to call this thing" and I of course said "well,
it's a graphical mud."  But that meant nothing to the
press. Multiplayer game meant 16 people at the time, hence the coinage
of "massively multiplayer."

Such a hideous term, and I think we're stuck with it now... :(

-Raph