[MUD-Dev] A list of MMORPG Questions

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Sat Dec 9 14:55:32 CET 2000

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>

> As far as the origin of the term--well, I guess it started with UO,
> since I don't recall it being applied to anything else. There were
> discussions on "what to call this thing" and I of course said "well,
> it's a graphical mud."  But that meant nothing to the
> press. Multiplayer game meant 16 people at the time, hence the
> coinage of "massively multiplayer."  > Such a hideous term, and I
> think we're stuck with it now... :(

I see problems with all the various acronyms, that will lead to even
more acronyms popping up as time goes by:

     PSW - What if it's more than one world?  Switch to PSU?
  MMORPG - What if it isn't an RPG (maybe its a wargame)?
    MMOG - What if it isn't a game?  Same for the term "multiplayer"
           itself - can't have players if it isn't a game.

I used "MMUD" recently, but that was more of an inside-joke than
anything.