[MUD-Dev] Diku & GPL

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Sun Dec 10 11:46:41 CET 2000

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Jon Lambert wrote:

> What was the result?

Still pending :-) I have been reluctant to make the option until i
knew what the result would be. I am however currently much more
positive to the idea than i was at first.

> There are at least a dozen publically available codebases that are
> amenable to commercial exploitation.  Some are GPLed.  Some are
> free.  Some are licensible.  Why the concentration on Diku and
> Diku-derived servers?

This is indeed an issue that is specialized to this
codebase/licence. Never the less it does concern some people, which is
why it has been taken up on a sepetare mailing list for discussion.

> No this is illegal and dare I suggest unethical.  There isn't any
> way one can GPL a DIKU derivative codebase short of the Diku authors
> GPLing it themselves.

Which is the plan. Starting with us, copyright holders of re-releases
may choose to re-release their code under GPL as well.

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|