[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Dec 11 08:15:37 CET 2000

> McQuaid, Brad

> Actually, EQ is pretty darn close to what we originally designed and
> had in mind.  I've mentioned the few areas where it didn't work out as
> well as we'd planned before, and one of them includes camping.  We'd
> originally hoped that players would 'do' dungeons -- in other words,
> head into a dungeon with a party, and attempt to wipe out all or part
> of a dungeon, and then move on to another dungeon (or adventure area).
> And while many players do this, many also don't, and instead camp a
> static spawn over and over again, trying to get a specific item.  Some
> randomized loot has helped this with Kunark and Velious (and as
> mentioned, we're going to revamp some old world zones in the same
> fashion), but more can probably be done.

  As much as I beat on EverQuest, I'll say that the most enjoyable
experience I had with it was when I was with a guild group of 5 or 6 and we
were working our way through Upper Guk.  We'd clear a room, move into it,
then consider our next move.  The game remained entertaining and engaging
because we didn't know what the next room would bring and there was the
sense of exploration.  Further, the rooms in Upper Guk are decorated,
presenting a sense of a physical environment.  Also, we didn't run into
other players much.

  Unfortunately, this type of experience happened exactly once.  The norm is
to let the dungeon come to you: pullers bring the spawn to ambush by a group
that is in a known safe haven.  Otherwise, getting in and then out may be
too time consuming for all group members, and any group member wanting to
leave causes the entire group to have to leave.

JB