[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Mon Dec 11 10:11:08 CET 2000

Raph, I can tell you don't speak for the specific developers, lol.  Whenever
what you suggest, that loot is the primary driving force in EQ, is
mentioned, the developers specifically deny it.  This observation from
players is usually coupled with a complaint about the need to camp static
spawns: The Waiting Game.  The developers then respond by saying that
camping isn't the only way to play the game.  They're right.  But it is the
way the game keeps score.  I have no problem at all with a game being about
loot.  I've played Monopoly for several decades now.  It's the attitude that
EQ offers viable alternatives that I find... insouciant?  The pretense just
seems to make some people anyway a bit more angry than they'd be if the game
was simply EverLoot.

> and also that it's hard to argue with the
> retention figures EQ achieves, which are astronomical.

Never having seen any figures, I'll accept your point.  EQ has definitely
hit the bullseye with their item-collecting design.  But from the outside
anyway it appears they think the game is so much more.  That dichotomy may
have some educational value to it.

Lee