[MUD-Dev] A list of MMORPG Questions

Dave Kennerly dave at darkages.com
Mon Dec 11 10:30:10 CET 2000

John Szeder
> From: "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com>

>> But money washes clean all sins, apparently.  ;-)  Actually, the latest
>> in TrendySpeak is to refer to them as PSW's (Persistent Simulated Worlds).

> Why not just "Persistent Worlds"?

I also agree that "simulated" seems partially redundant.

Or, why not "Online Worlds."  This identifies, if persistence is a
requirement for a world.  I can imagine a non-persistent world, but
generally, I associate persistence with a world, as opposed to a game,
scenario, story, or campaign.  "Online" is the technology-dependent subject
of this forum and of the current industry, and "world" is the
technology-independent subject.  Several others have used this descriptor
before; e.g., "Laws of Online World Design."

Dave Kennerly