[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

McQuaid McQuaid
Mon Dec 11 17:01:04 CET 2000

Matthew Mihaly (the_logos at achaea.com) wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, rayzam wrote:
>> There's a simple reason why this has also been the case however,
>> and how it skews this stat. When you want to quit EQ, you don't
>> quit and let the character go away, you sell it off on Ebay to
>> someone else. So the characters persist from the beginning, but
>> who's behind it may be changing.  Granted, I doubt that matters for
>> the bottom line $$.

> So, you think that a 70% retention rate is achieved because people
> sell their characters when they quit? That seems awfully unlikely to
> me. I just went to Ebay and was trolling through the 4000+ listings
> of Everquest related items, and I found almost no characters for
> sale. Lots of items, few characters. There is no way that sold
> characters represent more than a tiny fraction of characters on
> Everquest.

Totally agreed Matthew.  I just found 34 entries under 'everquest
character' and 'everquest account'.  Now, I probably missed a few, but
to extrapolate that this accounts for our low churn rate is pretty
ludicrous.  It's the same type of creative logic used to explain away
our total subscribers: 'oh, they really don't have that many players,
because so many people have multiple accounts' :)