[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Dec 11 20:01:08 CET 2000

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, rayzam wrote:

> There's a simple reason why this has also been the case however, and
> how it skews this stat. When you want to quit EQ, you don't quit and
> let the character go away, you sell it off on Ebay to someone
> else. So the characters persist from the beginning, but who's behind
> it may be changing.  Granted, I doubt that matters for the bottom
> line $$.

So, you think that a 70% retention rate is achieved because people sell
their characters when they quit? That seems awfully unlikely to me. I just
went to Ebay and was trolling through the 4000+ listings of Everquest
related items, and I found almost no characters for sale. Lots of items,
few characters. There is no way that sold characters represent more than a
tiny fraction of characters on Everquest.

--matt