[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

John Vanderbeck agathorn at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 11 22:05:32 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corey Crawford" <myrddin at seventh.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 7:54 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

> Hmm. The first thing I want to say is... Cool Magic System :) I like
> the idea that it actually costs the caster mana (energy, whatever)
> to maintain the spell, not just cast it.

The whole design is to make being a caster require skill as well.  I'm
a magic freak.  I love wielding spells.  The design here is that
spells do'nt have a set "duration" like for example in D&D, but rather
last for as long as the caster spends energy to maintain it.  Move
this to the more practical scale where you are maintaining multiple
spells at once and the skill aspect comes in.

Imagine a dungeon crawl.  You are maintaining a light spell for your
party, a protection vs undead ward, and a sense spell.  Suddenly you
come to a fork in the way and you decide to split up.  You drop the
overall light spell and summon two globes of light, passing one on to
each team.  You now are maintaing two orbs.  A little ways down the
corridor, your team runs into some trouble.  Now you are required to
tax yourself some more..What do you do?

> The second thing that pops into my head is.. your system is all and
> well, but you leave out a few things, like:
>
>   How do they gain new spells?
>   How do they get a higher IQ?
>   How are they different than having a level?

Yes, I did leave a lot of things out.  Partly because the design isn't
finished, partly because I was only providing a snapshot.  To answer
your specific questions..  You gain new spells, in essence, by
questing.  Its more involved than that, but it boils down to questing.
You would raise your IQ, or any of the energy skills by practicing
your magics. On a gneric note, attributes are raised by perofrming
acts that use them.  Nothing new there.  Its differnet from a level
because it is a broader, more freeform way of handling the concept.
If you boil it down, ANY system comes down to advancement.  It is all
in how we represent and control that advancement and acquisition on
power.

- John Vanderbeck