[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Tue Dec 12 10:17:43 CET 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

> So, you think that a 70% retention rate is achieved because people
> sell their characters when they quit? That seems awfully unlikely to
> me. I just went to Ebay and was trolling through the 4000+ listings
> of Everquest related items, and I found almost no characters for
> sale. Lots of items, few characters. There is no way that sold
> characters represent more than a tiny fraction of characters on
> Everquest.

Probably not outright sales, but what about less formal methods for
transferring control?  I've been offered chances to take over people's
accounts several times, under various circumstances.

Look at it from the other side: 125,000+ people *have* canceled their
accounts, are you saying the vast majority of people who stop playing
EQ totally ignore the potential value tied up in their characters?  It
wouldn't surprise me if that's only half of the "real" turnover in EQ.

--Dave Rickey