[MUD-Dev] Levels of immersion

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 20:01:22 CET 2000

On 12 December 2000 Travis Casey wrote:
>I definitely agree that roleplaying does not require you to feel that
>you *are* the character.  As a recovering multiple personality, if I
>start feeling that I *am* my character, it's time for me to stop
>playing.
	Only if the character you feel you are isn't you.
	The point of immersion is that you have to feel that YOU are in
the game world. Or maybe that should be, that you are IN the game world.
Or that you are in the game WORLD.
	This comes about when the character you're playing in the game
and the character that is you in the real world become one. This will
usually involve some movement on both sides of the equation as people
experiment with identities. Of course, if this movement is too much all
in one go or involves some kind of a seismic shift rather than a
gradual slide, well, yes I guess that could indeed be quite unhealthy.
	At this point, though, we get into areas of clinical psychiatry,
about which I know nothing so I'm completely unqualified to make any
comments other than those of a crass or uniformed nature, so I shan't!

		Richard